Saturday, August 18, 2007

Hurricane Dean in Dominica



I spoke with one of the brethren in Vielle Case, Dominica last night and although they had a lot of wind and rain, they are all right. The crops--bananas and plaintains were all blown down, which means they are lost, and some roofs were blown off, but there doesn't seem to be any severe damage in Vielle Case, which is on the north side of the island (straight across from the "beak" on the north end).

I haven't been able to talk with the brethren in La Plaine (just south of this line of type). Regular phones are down, but cell phones seem to be working so I hope to raise them today.

By early next week we should have a better assesment of damage and needs in Dominica. Other than one couple who are "retired", the brethren in Vielle Case are all farmers, so the loss of their crops will hurt them for close to a year. It takes 9 months for a banana tree to bear after it has been planted. Most of the root crops take at least 6 months to produce, so they will need some help. If you're interested in helping, e-mail or call me and I'll let you know when I know more.

Tol (787) 998-2098, tolburk@gmail.com

No comments: